So the new Apple device is called iPhone 4. Here’s a quick note for those of you who went to bed early.
Over 100 new features, but Jobs talked about 8 + 1.
- All new design (as seen everywhere else prior to the announcement) - Including micro-SIM and front-facing camera
- Retina display - 326 dpi, high resolution
- A4 chip - Apple designed processor
- Gyroscope (3-axis) - Must be good for gaming
- New camera system - 5 megapixel w/ LED flash, 720p 30 fps HD video recording and iMovie for iPhone
- iOS4 - Multitasking, unified inbox, application folder (gold master available today so still not available for user to download yet)
- iBooks - eBook on iPhone, sync last read point, bookmarks and notes between iPad and iPhone (When it comes to reading books, I would still stick to my Kindle.)
- iAds (this one is for developers to earn extra money thru the in-app ads)
Plus one more thing, Video chat. It’s called FaceTime. It works with iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 on Wi-Fi so no cellular video chat for now (at least in 2010). Can use both front and rear camera for this purpose.
iPhone 4 comes in black and white, $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB with AT&T contract. The phone will be available June 24 in US, France, Germany, UK and Japan then 18 more countries in July, 24 more in August, 40 more in September. I guess we’ll have it in Thailand in September. ;)
iOS 4 upgrade for iPhone 3GS and older phone will be available June 21. Not all features (say multitasking) supported in iPhone 3G.
My personal conclusion: I won’t buy the new iPhone 4 but I might get an iPad when it available officially in Thailand. ;)
Last but not least, you can see some of the photos from keynote at gdgt.com